For 2.5 weeks I am traveling as a PT to the Dominican Republic with a group of 22 PT students and other professionals to care for patients. I will be with 2 of the students at Hospital de Los Ninos, a pediatric hospital.



Tuesday, April 20, 2010

We had another interesting reflection last night. Fr. Bill led us in a discussion using Ignatian way of thinking. One girl was telling us that one of her patients was basically living his last days and that the therapy they did was to sit and pray with the family. I know this would never be re-imbursed for in the States, but the family really appreciated it and was hugging them and sharing with them. Also, I went to Conani yesterday, which is a orphange. We took a group of kids who all pretty much have some sort of disability to a nearby park to play with them and love them up since they aren't typically given a lot of attention. The kids were shrieking with joy on the playground and they all wanted to hold our hands or hug us. We reflected on those situations and how much simple things can mean to people. We think that we are coming down here to share our education and help people with our therapy skills, but the things that mean so much to people are often things that don't take special knowledge....just some time, attention, a smile, or physical touch (Dominicans put my hugs to shame!)

2 comments:

  1. That's a lesson to carry forward. Obviously, we go to work to use our "special knowledge" and training to achieve specific goals...the control of diabetes, or the improved functioning of a C6 cord damaged patient. When that's specifically what they come to us for, it's all too easy to forget to do the fundamental things: "time, attention, a smile, or a physical touch" that help patients understand that they are cared about as people rather than as diabetics or as cord traumas. Reread the familiar I Corinthians 13 with this in mind. I don't want to be just a "clanging cymbal."

    1 Corinthians 13
    1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

    4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

    8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

    13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

    The clinical things and the human things are ALL important. But nothing is more important than the human things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're witnessing how important it is to put time, attention, a smile, and personal touch high on the priority list. I may not work directly with people who are dying or going through physical trauma, but your experience is still reflected into my life. I work with hundreds of people and interact with them daily. You never know; the next person I talk to at work could be your next patient. How have my words affected his/her outlook on life or motivation for a quick recovery? What you've talked about will have endless benefit to your patients and everyone you interact with.

    I hope your last weekend is going great. I don't typically look forward to Mondays, but I can't wait to see you on Monday!

    ReplyDelete