For 2.5 weeks I am traveling as a PT to the Dominican Republic with a group of 22 PT students and other professionals to care for patients. I will be with 2 of the students at Hospital de Los Ninos, a pediatric hospital.



Thursday, April 15, 2010

We had a great group discussion last night, reflecting on our time here. It started with the thought that on our climb to the waterfall yesterday, the way back down looked different (we were going down rocks/water instead of climbing up them). When we go through life, sometimes events/situations can change our perspective on things. So we talked about our time here and how our perspectives have changed. The lifestyle here is relatively simple and sometimes I think I could be very happy just living in a little casita...sure would be less to have to clean! But it can also be frustrating the little resources that are available here. We go into the hospital every morning and think that we are helping them with our education on what we do and why it is important because we believe that our way is better. We are trying to help change the attitude there (the culture of staying in bed and being taken care of), but our service is actually a learning experiece for us in return. We think our healthcare is superior and that they need help, but there are also things they do better than we do. For instance, family involvement is central to the care of the children (they require a family member with them at all times). I see a lot of patients in the US that have no family that is available or supporting them, and that would probably seem terrible to a Dominican at our hospital. We talked about how the Dominicans are so trusting of us (can you imagine being treated by someone who can barely speak English?) and I'm pretty sure they would let me do surgery on them if I offered it. I am very grateful for the education and opportunities that have been available to me so that I can have the knowledge to make a difference. I wonder how it would be different here if there was more education. The people here though are wonderful. They are so hospitable and generous with their time and with what they have, even though it is very little. I hope to try to slow down once in awhile, spend more time with people and "be a human being, not a human doing" as someone last night said.

I spent time talking with the physiatrist at the hospital today and we had a great discussion on our healthcare cultures and how rehab and PT is...very interesting. We also be-friended a couple medical students today who knew some English and got to talk with them about a lot of different things.

It was kinda neat that yesterday, the head nurse said to us that one our patients has been to this hospital multiple times and wasn't walking, but now she is! She thanked us and said that we were doing a great job.

I went to the mercado (the market) today with my students and oriented them to the art of bargaining :) I did not get anything yet...I am holding out for our trip to Santo Domingo this weekend where there is a huge mercado. And then on the guagua back to ILAC, I had to teach my students that if a Dominican man asks you if you are married (which is a very common question posed to Americanos), you always tell them that you are :)

I am loving my time down here...it is so peaceful (most of the time...except for the fact that there is music playing loudly pretty much everywhere/all the time!), the ILAC center is a beautiful environment, and I am meeting some very interesting PTs and making great connections. Not so great though are the zillions of misquito bites I have obtained...they really like me.

And PS: the Spanish has been getting better :) The people here just appreciate when we try, and while I am certainly far from fluent, I have actually been communicating fairly well. It's gotten to the point that when I am talking in English to fellow ILACers, Spanish comes out reflexively at times!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Dominican mosquitoes have a sweet tooth :)

    Thanks for the post. You're doing great! You're really making a wonderful difference for them. Enjoy your weekend. Good luck bargaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have needed to take a whole day to ponder this one. The waterfall change in perspective analogy is awesome and so true! The being/doing is a complicated one! The doing is what creates the recources/knowledge/technology that improves quality of life (including medicine, agriculture, aid around the globe, etc)...but also prevent individuals from sitting with loved ones 24/7 (not just weekends and evenings when Dad saw them there). I think about the joys of a simple lifestyle too. A happy medium then? What does that look like? I loved this post! Very thought provoking. Thank you! Can't wait to explore this further around the dinner table! So glad you are enjoying your time, and for God's sake get some mosquito repellent! Speaking of "doing" I have to leave now to take Jennie to swimming! Love you, and can't wait for the next post! your ever lovin mom

    ReplyDelete